Blancco 5 version 5.11.0 - Release notes
- New architecture that eliminates the “black screen” issues Blancco 5.11 is built on top of a brand new architecture.
- This architecture provides several enhancements such as an improved booting, a better hardware support, a better overall stability and a better logging system. The most visible advantage is a smoother boot allowing a more reliable freeze lock removal process, that eliminates the unfortunate “black screen” issues that have hindered the Blancco 5 usage in the past. For all machines, especially for laptops/desktops where "black screens" occur. Other than a better user experience, the immediate benefits are an increased erasure success rate and a higher security as more laptops and desktops are now successfully erased up to the “Purge” sanitization level.
- Extended Asset Management Integration (2-way Communication).
- A range of new API interfaces are available to control Blancco 5 erasure clients via an integration between the Management Console and a third party asset management system. Blancco 5 behavior is controlled by the asset management system that can specify configuration options at boot time. This feature can be activated from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0. Requires the Management Console 3.8.0, information about how to integrate with the Asset Management System is available in the MC user manual. To increase throughput, enable flexible granular control, and minimize user interaction / human error with the Blancco 5 client software.
- Ability to erase drive partitions.
- Drive partitions are detected and can be displayed in the user interface and be erased individually. Erased partitions will also be reported individually. Setting available from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0 and from the Blancco 5 user interface. A necessary feature for customers whose erasure process requires preserving specific partitions such as the Windows recovery partition, that is used for a later asset reimaging.
- Erasure remote monitoring.
- Assets being erased with Blancco 5 can now be monitored remotely from the Blancco Management Console, when a successful connection is established. Setting available from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0. Requires the Management Console 3.8.0. Allows a Manager to have full visibility on how many machines are being erased and what is their status, at any time, from anywhere. Important to detect possible erasure problems and take actions without delay.
- Enhanced configurability for the hardware tests.
- Each hardware test can now be configured individually for a fully customized diagnostic of the machine. Includes configuring the pass threshold for the battery test as well as preselecting the optical drive tests. Configuration available from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0. To achieved a tailored diagnostic of any machine and get a more accurate value of it, to fit any erasure process, to increase the usage of the Blancco 5 diagnostics.
- Threshold on reallocated sectors count.
- Configure a threshold on reallocated sectors count, drives which amount of reallocated sectors reach of exceed the threshold will immediately fail the erasure with a clear error message. Setting available from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0. Useful for quickly separating the drives that can be reused/resold from the drives that are in a bad condition and that should be destroyed.
- Restart the user interface.
- In case the GUI is scrambled/frozen or lags or is not restored after plugging an external monitor, restarting the GUI can fix the problem. Restart the GUI via the Ctrl+F4 keyboard shortcut. To use only in case of display problems e.g. when booting a machine with a video card that is not well supported (such as NVIDIA graphic cards) or when connecting an external monitor or when working with a KVM switch.
- Screensaver lock.
- Upon boot, the screensaver is displayed and locked, the user cannot access the software options or interrupt the erasure, the erasure process can nevertheless be followed. Can be enabled from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0 with the Automatic process only. Ideal to prevent an operator from accessing/changing the erasure options and software settings. The lock is automatically removed in case a user interaction is required.
- Lock custom fields.
- The custom fields have a new "Locked" attribute that prevents them from being modified during the erasure. Can be enabled from the Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0. Ideal to prevent an operator from changing the value of a prefilled custom field.
- Support for Italian, Russian and Traditional Chinese languages.
- User interface and user manuals localized in Italian, Russian and Traditional Chinese. To best support our customers globally.
- Fix for a problem where the erasure got stuck during an aperiodic random overwrite step on some SAS drive models (e.g. Seagate Savvio SAS). Occurred with normal images and on Blancco hardware appliances.
- Fix for a regression bug where SATA hard disks could not be erased if connected to PERC 6/E MegaRAID SAS controllers.
- Fix for a problem where drives connected to the HP Smart Array P800 RAID controller where only partially detected.
- Fix for a booting problem on Dell PowerEdge R630/R730 where the software got stuck in the "spinning wheel" screen.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP Z440 and HP EliteBook 8440p (with/without NVIDIA Quadro video cards). Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP ZBook 15 G2. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP Compaq 6710b. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP 8000 Elite CMT (with NVIDIA Quadro video cards). Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP EliteDesk 800 G2 TWR. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP Compaq DC 5750 and HP 8200 SFF. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on Dell Latitude E6440. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP ZBook 17. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on Lenovo ThinkPad Helix (20CG001FGE). Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP EliteBook 840/850 G3. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP ProBook 640 G2. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HPC 6005 Pro (std. PC). Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for the "black screen" issues on HP Compaq DC7800 SFF and Dell Precision M4800. Fixed as part of the new Blancco 5 architecture.
- Fix for a problem where the GUI was not displayed after plugging an external monitor during/after the booting. Fixed via the GUI restarting capability (Ctrl+F4).
- Fix for a problem where the report auto-backup did not work if the erasure was remotely controlled.
- Fix for a problem where the issue report creation process hanged. Occurred on specific Blancco hardware appliances only.
- Fix for a problem where the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 wireless network card was not detected.
- Fix for a localization problem on the popup warning about the presence of hybrid drives.
- Keyboard shortcuts now work even with Caps Lock on.
- Adding support for the Chinese keyboard layout (cn).
- Use the latest Blancco 5 Configuration Tool v.1.9.0 (or higher) to configure the Blancco 5.11.0 images and enable the latest capabilities.
- Use the latest Blancco Management Console v.3.8.0 (or higher) to benefit from the Blancco 5.11.0 full capabilities. Especially the remote monitoring and "2-way communication" features.
- Only use the latest Blancco USB Creator v.2.2.2 (or higher) to create bootable USB sticks with Blancco 5.11.0 images (also compatible with lower Blancco 5 versions). It is advised to reformat the stick by enabling the "Format" option. Older Blancco USB Creator versions are not compatible with Blancco 5.11.0.
- On some machines (e.g. HP EliteBook 8440p), the GUI is scrambled upon booting and must be manually restarted (Ctrl+F4).
- On some machines, the operator may need to press the power button or press the Enter key to resume the booting process and access the GUI.
Read more »
Release Notes - USB Creator - Version 2.2.2
- Support for Blancco 5.11.0 images.
- Fixed error: jpeg: invalid 0xFF in data stream.
- Booting doesn't work in 32bit UEFI machines.
- Remove white spaces from image name before creating USB.
Read more »
Blancco 5 Configuration Tool 1.9.0 - Release notes
- Configure monitoring Blancco 5 erasures from Management Console.
- Configure displaying drive partitions for erasure.
- Configurable failure threshold on remapped sectors erasure.
- Configurable hardware tests.
- Configure locked custom fields. It is possible to prevent the user from modifying a custom field which has a preconfigured value.
- Screensaver lock configurability.
- Job Specification (2-way communication), new erasure control option. See Blancco 5.11 release notes for more information.
- Updated installation process.
- Update the EULA embedded in Blancco 5 Configuration Tool to the latest version (2016 v2.2).
- Support for Italian, Russian and Traditional Chinese languages.
- Rename the field "Report auto send/save" to "Automatic report backup".
- Boot options of images older than 5.10.x cannot be changed in B5CT 1.8.0.
Multiple localization issues fixed.
Maximum custom field name is longer than Management Console database allows.
Blancco 5 Configuration Tool crashes in Debian 8.4.
Note! New features require Blancco 5 version 5.11.0 or newer.
Read more »
Blancco 5 Mobile version 2.6 - Release notes
- The individual diagnostics test results can now be used in label printing.
- Cancel button added in BlackBerry erasure. The process can be canceled when the device is in “Requires attention” state.
- Fixed asset report auto-sending to happen according to the setting “Autosend reports to Management Console when cable is disconnected”.
- Fixed Statistics showing wrong results for diagnostics in some cases.
- Fixed “Allow manual verification of factory reset” behaving incorrectly when set to 'never'.
- Fixed B5M crashing sometimes when changing “Show all USB devices”.
- Fixed iOS erasure (recovery mode) failing in firmware download.
- Fixed Sharp 501SH erasure failing.
- Fixed BlackBerry erasure failing because IT policy exists on the device. IT policy is now always removed during the erasure.
- Fixed B5M crashing when Windows Phone re-connected just before it performs factory reset.
- Fixed printing problems label printing in custom page size with custom layout not working correctly. Problems occurred with Brother QL-7xx printer.
Read more »
Blancco Management Console version 3.8.0 - Release Notes
- BMC self-diagnostics.
- A new button in the Administration page to collect all diagnostic information required by support for troubleshooting. A standalone version of the self-diagnostic utility is also available for previous version of MC, to collect all necessary logs or configuration details.
- Extended Asset Management Integration.
- A range of new API interfaces available for the control of erasure clients with an integration between the MC and a third party asset management system. Client behavior is controlled by the asset management system specifying configuration options at boot time. Requires Blancco 5 version 5.11.0 or newer, for control via a job specification to be available. Contact Blancco support for more detail on the interfaces.
- API: create groups.
- Introduces a REST interface for the creation of groups for user management. Full details available at support.blancco.com/mcapi.
- Summary report shows self-created HDD reports.
- Hard drive reports created manually in the Management Console can be exported as part of the summary report API, User management
- API: Delete User.
- New interface to allow programmatic deletion of user accounts. Report deletion or reassignment to another user can be specified. Full details available at support.blancco.com/mcapi.
- Blancco 5 Mobile Reporting Extension.
- Sim card information and ECID now present in PDF and HTML reports.
- Installation logging.
- All output from the installation is now logged to a file, for debugging in case of failed installation. Installation log file may be found at:<bmc_installation_directory>/logs/install.log
- The XML examples for the API have been updated at support.blancco.com/mcapi.
- Fix for an issue where, on switching from internal to external (AD) authentication, user was not able to log in successfully with the AD password.
- When an uploaded report file contains duplicate reports, the duplicate report ID is shown in red color and info is given as a mouse over tool-tip.
- Fix for an issue where duplicate license assignments could be made when creating a user via the API. This now results in HTTP error 500.
- Fix for an issue where only the first value is shown from a multi-value custom field is shown in a summary report.
- Fix for an issue where summary report export would fail if an unknown product name was present in a report entry.
- Email validation now supports new TLDs (.design, .business etc.).
- Fix for an issue where a logged in session would not always time out. Sessions do not time out when on Process Management pages.
- Fix to prevent the removal of leading spaces from disk serial numbers, these are now shown in all views and reports.
- Fix to prevent user sending multiple emails through the Forgot password form, by clicking multiple times or double clicking on the button while filling the form.
- Fix to "Completed erasures since last login" in the Login details widget always showing 0. Counter now shows the number of erasures since the login.
- Fix for an issue where the date chart for entering an expiration date for a user may appear in an incorrect position on the page or rendered off-screen when there are a large number of users.
- The update process of BMC previously preserved Java memory settings (Xmx and Xms) in the wrapper.conf file. The wrapper was removed in BMC 3.8.0 Linux version and memory settings are defined in /etc/init.d/BMC script. Any upgrade to 3.8.0 will not preserve the Xmx and Xms settings. If these were changed manually, the changes will need to be applied to the BMC script after upgrade.
Read more »