If hard drives are freeze locked (see the user manual for the definition), Blancco Drive Eraser / Blancco 5 will attempt to remove the lock by power cycling the machine: The screen turns black for few seconds before returning. Depending on the booting option used to boot Blancco Drive Eraser / Blancco 5 or the configured erasure process ("Manual", "Semi-automatic" or "Automatic"), the Freeze lock removal may occur before the GUI starts or right before an erasure process starts. Unfortunately in some hardware configurations the screen might not turn back on, meaning that the freeze lock removal procedure is not properly supported by the machine. In these cases, the suggested procedure is the following:
- Try booting Blancco Drive Eraser / Blancco 5 using the second booting option (Normal startup (native resolution))
- If problems arise with the aforementioned booting option (black screen, machine is unresponsive), try booting Blancco Drive Eraser / Blancco 5 using the first option (Normal startup (safe resolution))
- If problems arise during the booting phase (Blancco Drive Eraser / Blancco 5 hangs), try booting Blancco Drive Eraser / Blancco 5 using the fourth option (Show startup messages), take note of the last messages shown in the screen before the hanging and contact the Blancco Support.
- If the hard drive light starts blinking indicating the erasure is in progress, you should be able to monitor the erasure remotely via the Blancco Management Console.
- If the machine is on (lights are on, fan is running) but the drive light is not blinking, you may be able to control the erasure remotely via the Blancco Management Console.
- If the machine is unresponsive (light are off, fan not running), try in order:
- Press any keyboard key or push the machine’s power button for 1 second to wake up the machine and restart Blancco Drive Eraser.
- Check from the BIOS/UEFI settings that the machine can be suspended and restarted, if the setting exists make sure that it is enabled.
- Remove the drive from the machine and connect it to another machine that is properly supported.
- Shut down the computer, unplug the drive's signal or power cable, power on the computer, boot Blancco, and then plug the drive's signal or power cable back in when you see the loading progress bar (Note: This method is not recommended by Blancco, as the drive may get damaged in the process).
More details about issues with the Freeze Lock Removal procedure can be found in this article.