After every erasure, Blancco Virtual Machine Eraser and Blancco LUN Eraser both generate reports in XML format. These reports are stored locally on every ESXi server from where the erasures were initiated. When this happens, there is a specific XML file created for each erasure as well as a file called "all.xml" which automatically gathers all individual XML reports files into one. This all.xml file makes it very easy to manually move all reports from the ESXi host(s) to a computer which has an internet connection and then upload them to the Blancco Cloud. This is quite common when companies use a standalone version of Blancco Virtual Machine Eraser and/or Blancco LUN Eraser for a specific project and limited amount of erasures.
To manually upload the erasure reports to the Blancco Cloud, follow these steps:
- (Optional) If you are running erasures from many different ESXi hosts, rename the all.xml on each ESXi host so that they will not be confused and mixed up later. You can do this by opening an SSH connection to each ESXi host, navigating to the erasure report location and giving the following command (In this example, the new name of each all.xml will actually be each host's IP address to make it easy to differentiate them).
- mv all.xml hostIP.xml
- Copy or move the reports to the data store.
- cp hostIP.xml /vmfs/volumes/datastore
- Access the data store (this can be done in many different ways although vCenter Server and the vSphere Client are the most common methods) and download all of the erasure report files.
- Move to a computer which has internet access and navigate to https://cloud.blancco.com where you can login with your credentials and upload the reports.